Natural Remedies For Congestion
Making your own natural remedies for congestion can save you time and money. Plus, these are much safer to use than over the counter or prescription drugs.
Instant Congestion Relief With Neti Pots
Neti pots have been used since ancient times as a natural decongestant. These look like little teapots and are a great little nasal irrigation system.
Imagine that you're washing out your sinuses...because that's exactly what this little devices does!
- Fill pot to fill line with warm water
- Add saline solution
- Lean over sink
- Insert spout of pot into one nostril
- Tip until water flushes through sinuses and exits the other nostril
- Gently blow loose mucus out of nose
- Repeat on the other side
Sister Jeanne's soothing nasal spray
I have a problem with head congestion during the pollen season. If I wake up at night, I want to be able to grab something and get some quick relief, so I can hurry and get back to sleep.
I'm a stickler for safety, so I want a natural decongestant. This easy recipe simply goes into a nasal spray bottle to be kept for quick use:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch baking soda
- Put in small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Cool, then put in nasal spray bottle.
Irrigating with drops
This technique isn't as effective as a neti pot, but some people prefer to drip the solution instead of flushing with it.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt dissolved in 8 ounces water.
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt to moisten nasal passages
- Tilt head back
- Close one nostril with fingertip
- Sniff or drip in nostril with an eyedropper
- Blow nose
- Repeat several times until you get desired result.
Natural remedies for congestion in the nose and chest
The tent: (An easy natural decongestant)
- Fill the bathroom sink with hot water.
- Place a dab of Vick's Vapor Rub in the hot water.
- Put your face over the sink and make a tent over your head with a towel or sheet.
- Breathe the steam deeply.
- Add hot water as needed to keep the steam going.
- Do this until the congestion starts to loosen.
Using Vick's Vapor Rub or Doterra's Breathe works nicely with this technique. Another way to do this, would be to put some "Breathe" or Vick's in a steaming shower.
Breathe is an essential oil blend that's formulated especially for respiratory issues.
doTERRA Breathe Essential Oil Blend 15 ml
This is called a plaster, but actually, it's a poultice made with mustard. It's not only a natural remedy for congestion, but works well with bronchitis, also.
- Mix 1 Tablespoon of dry mustard (not hot) with 4 to 8 Tablespoons of flour.
- Moisten with enough tepid water to make a paste.
- Place paste on paper tower.
- Place paper towel on a clean cotton cloth.
- Fold cloth around paper towel.
- Heat in microwave til hot. Check every 5-10 seconds.
- Be careful! It may feel warm on the outside, but can be steaming hot on the inside!
- Apply a little olive oil to the skin before applying.
- Cover with a blanket for 5-30 minutes.
- Check frequently for skin sensitivity. (Mustard can get very hot)
- Rinse with cool water and dry.
Specific home remedies you might be interested in:
Old Home Remedies
Natural Remedies for Congestion