Tension Type Headaches
Tension type headaches (also known as stress headaches) are the most common of headaches. Why? Probably because our world is overloaded with stress!
These type of headaches are going to start in the shoulders, then proceed to make your neck tight, and then create your headache.
Women get these more than men do. For some reason, women tend to carry most of their stress in their shoulders, while men tend to carry theirs more in the low back.
A quick, temporary fix
- Shrug your shoulders, getting them as close to your ears as possible.
- Hold position for 30 seconds.
- Slowly relax shoulders.
- Repeat 2 more times.
- Do as often as necessary to ease tension in shoulders.
Home remedy for tension headache relief
- Use moist heat on the upper back and back of the neck for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, apply a cold pack for 1 minute.
- Have a light blanket handy to keep the chill off.
- Repeat for a total of 3 rounds.
- Always start with heat and finish with cold.
- Massage neck and shoulders afterward.
My "On The Go" headache remedy
Essential oils are very effective for quick relief from headaches. Peppermint is especially good for headache relief. Just rub 1-2 drops on the painful area, using soft, circular rubbing motions.
CAUTION: Don't touch your eyes after handling the peppermint oil!
- After applying oils, cup your hands over your face and inhale. Inhaling is very beneficial, especially with Peppermint.
- Lying down after the oil application and placing a cool, damp cloth
over eyes and on the back of the neck can enhance the process.
- MAKE SURE TO KEEP OILS OUT OF EYES
- If you do get oils in your eyes DO NOT USE WATER! Oil and water don't mix. Just put a little coconut or olive oil on your fingertip and touch it to the inside of your eyelid. The oil will calm the essential oil down immediately.
More Headache Remedies
Sinus headaches are one of the most common types of headaches. Discover the home remedies that get rid of these.
Fast remedies for your child's headache that they can do themselves.
A toxic world produces toxic headaches. Get the scoop on what to do for these nasty things.
Essential oils aren't just for smelling! Find out about the headache healing properties some oils have.
Are you desperate to find relief for migraines and cluster headaches? Learn how to use household items for self care.
Types of Headaches
Tension Type Headache